Learning Activity – Instructor-led Class
Instructor-led Training (ILT) Courses/Classes are the vehicle to set up training where an instructor interacts with learners. Often this training takes place in person, but it could also take place online via a virtual meeting room.
The ILT class activity type is one half of the equation. You use ILT classes or sessions to offer the same training at different times, dates, and/or across multiple locations with different instructors. The ILT activity structure in TLC is:
- ILT Course – This is the overall training that “hosts” the different offerings
- ILT Classes – These are the general time spans and locations where the training is offered. ILT Courses and split into ILT Classes which allows the course content to be offered multiple times.
- Sessions – These are the specific times the training takes place. ILT Classes can be split into sessions.
- Make sure this is the right activity type. There are other similar activity types that may be more useful.
- If you need to set up a one-time ILT activity, you can just create an ILT Class
- If your domain has integrated with Webex, Adobe Connect, iLinc, Zoom, or Live Meeting and you want to either schedule a life online event or upload a recorded one, create a virtual session.
- If you need to create a recurring activity across dozens of sessions (such as a proctored assessment) consider using a dynamic Offering.
- If this activity is instructor-led make sure your instructors exist in the system and have the instructor checkbox selected on their Administrator profile.
- If this activity is on-location, make sure any required locations, facilities, equipment, or vendors are in the system.
- Add Instructors, location, cost, equipment to the class not the course.
1. Click Admin
2. Click Learning Management
3. Click Activity Management
4. Click Learning Activities. This will open a new screen.
5. Click on New Activity
6. Scroll down to ILT Class. This will take you to the Offering Wizard.
7. Click Browse to select the Course the Class is associated with.
8. Click the radio button to select the course the class offering is for.
9. Click OK
10. Use the Calendar Icon to select the Start date/time for the class.
11. Use the Calendar Icon to select the End date/time for the class.
12. Verify the Time zone is set to America/Los Angeles
13. Set the Maximum Capacity.
14. Select the checkbox next to Send notifications to users who expressed an interest in this activity (if desired)
15. Click on Build Offering. This will take you to a new screen.
16. Configure General Properties for the Activity
- Primary Domain
- Add an Image (optional)
- Verify the Activity Type is ILT Class
- Input the Code
- Add a Description
- Input the Owner
- Add a Contact
- Add the Email for the contact(s)
- Input a URL for the program
- Input Keywords
17. Set Grading and Completion properties
- Click the checkbox for Contribute to parent activity completion
- Decide if it is Required
- Determine the Grading Scale
- Input a Minimum percent
- Input the estimated duration
- Input Estimated Credit Hours
18. Continue configuring General Properties
- Input the Number of child activities to successfully complete
- Pick a rule for child activities
- Determine the Diploma Template you are using
- Determine Electronic Signature settings
- Decide if you are enabling automatic activity completion
19. Add additional optional settings:
- Auto Completion processed
- Calculate change in completion status
- Learners can view and print diploma certificates after passing at least one evaluation
- Enable Learning Activity Sequencing
20. Set Approval settings
21. Indicate if you wish to Require a Comment when requesting Completion
22. Determine Roster settings for “Attended” or “Waived” attempts
23. Set Metadata information (optional)
24. Determine settings for Related Activities
25. Input Schedule Information
- Verify State Date and Time
- Verify End Date and Time
- Set a Registration Deadline (optional)
- Set a Cancelation Deadline (optional
- Verify Time zone is set to America/Los Angeles
- Click the checkbox to check for conflicts (optional)
26. Input Registration settings.
- Click Open for registration
- If you are using this in a curricula click Allow one click registration.
- Determine Minimum Capacity
- Determine Maximum Capacity
27. Determine Approval Settings
- Set Default Approver
- Click the checkbox Enable Form-Based Approvals to use Form Based Approvals
- Select the Approval Workflow
28. Input Lock Roster settings
29. Determine Re-registration Settings
30. Verify or modify Audiences
31. Update Allocation Settings
32. Update Resources settings
- Add Instructors
- Add Locations
To add Instructors:
33. Click on Add. This will open a new dialog box.
34. Determine how you will select the instructor (this example uses Select Instructor)
35. Click Next.
36. Click the checkbox(es) next to the Instructor(s) you wish to assign to the class.
37. Click View in Calendar to check for conflicts.
38. Click Close. This will open a new dialog box.
39. Indicate for your instructors if they are Qualified to teach and if they are Responsible for the class.
40. Click OK. This will return you to the add Resources Screen
Attach the class to a Location
41. Click Add. This will open the Select Location dialog box
42. Select the location for the class.
43. Click on View in Calendar to search for conflicts.
44. Click Close
45. Click OK (not shown)
46. Click Optional (not shown).
Note: Optional settings are presented with the concept of “pairs” where there are settings that go together in different sub-menus. You can approach these settings in any order that works for you.
47. Scroll to the Registration submenu and click on Audiences. This will take you to the add audiences dialog box. Setting audience here allows you to limit viewability and/or registration to specific groups of people known as audiences. This will open a new screen. You may see the audiences you selected for the Course are already here. You can add or modify them at this time.
48. To add an audience, click Add. This will open the Add Audiences dialog box.
49. Select the audience(s) you wish to use
50. Click Next. This continues the Add Audiences dialog box.
51. Verify the audience and click OK. This returns you to the Audience Screen (not shown).
52. Click OK (not shown). This returns you to the Optional Page.
53. Scroll down to the Management sub menu and select Audiences. This will open a new screen). This is where you select how you would like to assign the activity using audiences.
54. Click Add
55. Select your audience(s). It is important that the audiences you set here match the audiences set previously.
56. Click Next. This takes you to the assignment options.
57. Determine how you want audiences assigned.
- Is this course required or recommended?
- Do you want to honor or ignore previous completions
- Determine assignment date. Note: Leave the Time Zone set to UTC here.
- Set the due date Note: Leave the Time Zone set to UTC here.
- Determine the priority level
- Add Learner notes
- Add Administrator notes (not shown)
58. Click OK
59. Scroll down to the Registration sub menu and click on Availability
60. Check Open for Registration. Determine other settings you wish to use.
61. Click OK. This will return you to the Optional page. (not shown)
62. Click on Status under the Configure general properties for your activity menu (not shown). This will open a new page.
63. Select the desired options. This example clicked:
- Can be copied
- And the status is set to Active
64. Click OK. This will return you to the optional page
65. Scroll down to the Management sub menu and click Users (not shown). This takes you to a new screen.
66. Click Add which opens the Select Users dialog box
67. Scroll down to the Management sub menu and click Users (not shown). This takes you to a new screen.
68. Click Add which opens the Select Users dialog box
69. Click the checkbox to select the audience(s) you used in previous steps.
70. Click Next. This will open the Add Users dialog box.
- Required or Recommended
- Assignment Date
- Due Date
- Learner Notes
- Administrator Notes
72. Click OK. This takes you to a screen that shows the users who will be assigned (not shown).
73. Click OK again (not shown) which returns you to the optional page.
74. Scroll to the Cost sub menu and click on General.
75. Input the Cost settings
- Add a Cancellation Fee (optional)
- Add a Late cancellation fee (optional)
- Add a Now Show Fee (optional)
- Verify currency is set to U.S. Dollar
76. Click OK.
77. Click Validate for Production (not shown)
78. Click Move to Production (not shown)