This article covers the basic navigation of the main landing page when first logging into The Learning Center. The primary audience is the individual learner. However, at the end, there will be a couple of items for those in a manager role with direct reports.
- Self – opens a more detailed navigation pane.
- Library – if your Agency has written out Library Topics, it is a way to find various learning activities
- Statewide Announcement – when there is an important announcement, this is the location where it will be posted. There may not be an announcement here at all times.
- Home – if you need to return to this page, you can click on this image to return to this home landing page.
- Search – this opens a search box. As you begin typing, results will start to appear.
- Timeline – brings up a list of training that is required, assigned, past due, currently taking, and upcoming.
- Help – link to the SumTotal support portal
- Announcements – location where Agency announcements would reside.
- Dashboard – this expands upon the topics provided on the initial login page. You can navigate to everything you need to do from here.
- Transcript – quick access to your transcript.
- Quick links – a simple list of areas you may need to access.
Most commonly used features:
These three features allow you to look for training opportunities, manage what you have been assigned/registered to take, and review which activities you have completed.
The basic workflows for The Learning Center revolve around you either finding your own training or being automatically assigned training. You may be assigned to training based on your job or organization. You may also take control of your own training by searching for training options provided by your Agency.
More often than not, you will come to The Learning Center to do one of three things:
- Complete assigned/required training (Timeline)
- Look for training (Enterprise Search)
- Review your transcript (Transcript)
Below are the methods to help you get to those feature most quickly.
You can access the Timeline by going to the top band navigation and selecting the second icon from the right.
(close up view of the icon)
The number on top of the icon indicates the number of training activities you need requiring your registration.
After clicking on the Timeline icon, you can view your unfinished activities and training plans. If you have already completed an activity, it no longer appears on the Timeline.
You can use the Tasks and Learn tabs to narrow the activities that display. The Tasks tab displays to-do items such as training plans or classes you're teaching, while the Learn tab displays learning activities to which you are assigned or registered. The All and Tasks tabs divide activities by Current, Upcoming, and Past Due.
From the Learn tab, you can narrow your list of activities by the following views:
Total: Displays all training information. This view can also list critical training activities or activities with an expiration date if configured by the administrator.
Current: Displays a list of current training activities in Registered and In Progress status.
Upcoming: Displays a list of upcoming training activities, either Registered or Assigned.
Past Due: Displays overdue training activities.
Assigned: Displays a list of assigned training activities including Required and Recommended activities.
Critical: Displays a list of all the critical training that a learner needs to take, such as:
- The learner's registered training
- The learner's assigned training
- A certification with an expiration date
- A non-certification with an expiration date (provided the administrator has chosen to Replace Due Date With Expiration Date for non-certification activities)
The system organizes these items in a sorted list using the "need by" date. The Due Date column lists the need by date on which the learner needs to have completed the critical training.
If the Due Date is in red, bold font, it indicates that a learner has not completed the learning activity by the date in the Due Date column, a certification has expired, or a non-certification with an expiration date has expired
Required Certification: Displays the certification information including Required and In progress certifications.
From the Timeline view, you can Register for or Start learning activities found in your list. By clicking on the word “Register” a new window will open the learning activity. Online courses will offer a Start option to launch the course and instructor-led courses will show available classes you can select.
The easiest method to find learning activities is through the use of the Enterprise Search. You can access the search function by clicking on the magnifying glass icon, third from the right.
When selecting the Search icon, a new page will open with a standard Search bar.
As you begin typing, potential titles will begin to appear:
Once you allow the search to begin, the results will return the list. On the left side you will find Filter options to further refine the results.
When you find the activity you need, you can click on the Select button and you will have the option to Register for the learning activity and it will be added to your Timeline.
The fastest method to access your Transcript is clicking on Transcript from the home page. Once selected a new page opens with your Training Transcript.
If you have years of learning activities, The Learning Center gives you the opportunity to filter based upon a Year or Date Range where you identify the Start and End Dates. Once you have made your selection you Refresh to see the results.
Once you have the list you need you can Print or Export to PDF if you would like to share it with someone.
Please note, the transcript will only show learning activities you have completed.