Use Snipping Tool to Capture Screenshots
Sometimes the easiest way to make a copy of something is to take a snapshot of your screen. This is what Snipping Tool does.
Capture all or part of your PC screen, add notes, save the snip, or email it from the Snipping Tool window. You can capture any of the following types of snips:
- Free-form snip. Draw a free-form shape around an object.
- Rectangular snip. Drag the cursor around an object to form a rectangle.
- Window snip. Select a window, such as a browser window or dialog box that you want to capture.
- Full-screen snip. Capture the entire screen.
After you capture a snip, it's automatically copied to the Snipping Tool window. From there you can annotate, save, or share the snip. The following procedures show how to use Snipping Tool.
Open Snipping Tool
Select the Start button, type snipping tool in the search box on the taskbar, and then select Snipping Tool from the list of results.
Capture a Snip
In Snipping Tool, select Mode (in older versions, select the arrow next to the New button), choose the kind of snip you want, and then select the area of your screen that you want to capture.
Capture a snip of a menu
- After you open Snipping Tool, open the menu that you want a picture of. (For Windows 7, press the Esc key before opening the menu.)
- Press Ctrl + PrtScn This captures the entire screen, including the open menu.
- Select Mode (in older versions, select the arrow next to the New button), choose the kind of snip you want, and then select the area of the screen capture that you want.
Annotate a Snip
After you capture a snip, you can write or draw on or around it by selecting the Pen or Highlighter buttons. Select Eraser to remove the lines you've drawn.
Save a Snip
After you capture a snip, select the Save Snip button.
- In the Save As box, type a file name, location, and type, and then select Save.
Remove the URL
When you capture a snip from a browser window and save it as an HTML file, the URL appears below the snip. To prevent the URL from appearing:
- In the Snipping Tool, select the Options
- In the Snipping Tools Options box, clear the Include URL below snips (HTML only) check box, then select OK.
Share a snip
After you capture a snip, select the arrow next to the Send Snip button, and then select an option from the list.
Keyboard shortcuts to use in Snipping Tool
Press These Keys
To Do This
Alt + M
Choose a snipping mode
Alt + N
Create a new snip in the same mode as the last one
Shift + arrow keys
Move the cursor to select a rectangular snip area
Alt + D
Delay capture by 1-5 seconds
Ctrl + C
Copy the snip to clipboard
Ctrl + S
Save the snip