Why do I need the Authenticator App? Microsoft Authenticator is a security app used for two-factor authentication. This app is mandated by WaTech in order to use the Outlook App on your mobile device.
Before continuing, you will need to do the following:
- Download the Microsoft Authenticator App from the App store on your personal mobile device.
- Set up your DES user account for multi-factor-authentication. This is a task that is to be done before you migrate to Office 365. If you have not set up MFA or you aren't sure, click Here.
After completing the two bullet items, you can continue on to the the steps below.
FROM A COMPUTER/TABLET or OTHER PHONE (after MFA has been completed):
- To start the process of setting up the Authenticator app, you will be taken to a familiar page. This is the page you used while you were setting up MFA. Click here to start setting up your DES account with the Authenticator App.
- You will be taken to a Microsoft Sign in page. You will need to enter your state email address and click Next.
- You will be redirected to the State of Washington page where you need to enter your email address and password (the password you use to log on to your work account).
- Now you need to enter a code that should of been texted to your mobile device. This is part of the multi-factor authentication you previously set up. Enter the code in the Verification code box and click Sign in.
- When asked if you want to Stay signed in, check the box that says Don't show this again and click on Yes to continue.
- Now you see the Additional Security Verification page. Check the box next to Authenticator app or Token and click Set up Authenticator App.
- The Configure mobile app window will appear with a QR code. Leave this screen up and visible. You will need it to complete the Authenticator App setup.
FROM THE AUTHENTICATOR APP ON YOUR MOBILE DEVICE:
- Launch the Authenticator app.
- You will see a screen like below. Click Scan QR code
- Click OK to allow Authenticator to access the camera. A new screen will pop up with Scan QR Code and a camera window.
- Click OK to the non-personally identifiable usage data popup (if you get it, not everyone does).
- Scan the QR code that is visible on your Computer screen (from step 7 above). Once the camera detects the QR code it will automatically open the Account screen in the Authenticator App.
- If you receive a pop up that say App lock enabled, click OK.
- You may receive a Pop Up that says "Do you have a backup", click continue.
- Your state account is now added to the Authenticator App. When you click on Azure AD, you will see your email address.
- Click on > next to your email address to see the details of your authenticated account. The One-time password code will be used to log in to Applications such as Outlook.
- You are finished with the Authenticator App setup at this point. You will need the App again when you set the Outlook App up on your personal mobile device. If you would like to continue on and set up Outlook on your personal mobile device, click here or click the More arrow at the bottom.