DES/ETS does not back up your Desktop Files or your internet favorites (for any browser). It is recommended that you occasionally back up these files so you don't lose them in the event your computer should crash.
Click a Subject listed below to jump to that section
- Backup Your Local Desktop Files to your Home Directory (I Drive)
- Backup/Restore your Internet Favorites - Internet Explorer
- Backup/Restore your Internet Favorites - Google Chrome
- Backup/Restore your Internet Favorites - FireFox
- Backup your Internet Favorites - Edge
BACKUP YOUR LOCAL DESKTOP FILES TO YOUR HOME DIRECTORY (I DRIVE)
- Open File Explorer (Windows+E is a shortcut).
- In the folder list on the left hand side, click on Desktop.
- Press CTRL+A on your keyboard to select all of the files and folders currently saved on your desktop. Press CTRL+C to copy the files and folders to your clipboard.
- After you have copied all of the files, you will need to paste them into your Home Directory (I Drive) desktop folder. Click on your user name (example: ericaf179) and then double click on Desktop.
- Press CTRL+V to paste the files into your Desktop folder. If you get a pop up window that says "The destination has same names", click on "Replace the files in the destination". If you are unsure which version you want to keep, choose "Let me decide for each file". Depending on the amount of files you have on your desktop, it can take a few minutes to finish copying all of the documents to your Home Drive (I Drive).
- Now you have backed up all of your Desktop files to the network. If you receive a new PC, you can copy them back or you can leave them on your Home Drive (I Drive) where they are always backed up. IT4U will help you move your files or create a shortcut to them if you put in a ticket with IT4U.
BACKUP & RESTORE INTERNET FAVORITES BY BROWSER
We recommend you save all of your backed up favorites to you I Drive.
Internet Explorer versions 11 users
- Open the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser.
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, click the icon.
- In the menu that appears, click the down arrow next to drop-down.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, select Import and Export...
- In the Import/Export Settings menu, choose whether you'd like to import from another browser, import from a file, or export to a file (A). Then click (B).
Import favorites from another browser
- On the screen after you click the button, you'll see a list of browsers from which you can import bookmarks.
- Check the box next to browser whose bookmarks you'd like to import.
- Click the button, and then the button.
Import favorites from a file
- On the screen after you click the button, you'll see, three options. These describe the location of where the bookmarks file will be imported.
- Check the box next to each location you're interested in, then click the button.
- Click the button and find the location from which you're importing the file.
- Once you've located the file, choose the import location and then click the button.
- Click the button.
Export favorites to a file
- On the screen after you click the button, you'll see a list of locations to which you can export your favorites.
- After you have chosen your location, click the button.
- Click the button and find the location where you're exporting the file.
- Once you've chosen where to save your file, click the button.
- Click the button and then the button.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- In the upper-right corner of the window, click the icon.
- Move your mouse over Bookmarks.
Import bookmarks from another browser
- Select Import bookmarks and settings...
- From the drop-down menu, choose the browser you'd like to import bookmarks (A), then click the IMPORT button (B).
- If your import is successful, a confirmation screen is displayed.
- Click DONE to finish.
Import from or export to a file
- Select Bookmark manager.
- In the Bookmarks manager, click in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Select either Import bookmarks or Export bookmarks.
- Click either button and then save or locate a previously saved file.
- Open the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In the upper-right corner of the window, click the button.
- In the middle of the drop-down menu that appears, select Library.
- In the Library menu, select Bookmarks.
- At the bottom of the window, select Show all bookmarks.
- In the window that appears, click Import and Backup.
Import bookmarks from another browser
- Select Import Data from Another Browser...
- Choose the browser from which you'd like to import bookmarks (A) then click Next (B).
Export bookmarks to a file
- Select Export Bookmarks to HTML...
- Choose a location to save your bookmarks file, then click button.
Import bookmarks from a file
- Select Import Bookmarks from HTML...
- Choose a location to save your bookmarks file, then click the button.
- Type edge://favorites/ in the address bar and press Enter key to open favorites page.
- three dotsExport favorites
- Save AsSave